JSN is meeting in person and on Zoom!
Click a question below to open the answer.
Please arrive 20 minutes early (8:40 am) for your first meeting. Our speaker begins promptly at 9:00 am, and we would like you to sign in, get a nametag and quickly meet with one of our intake coaches before the meeting. After your first meeting, you may arrive a few minutes before 9AM to sign in and take a seat before our speaker begins.
There is no membership required to attend, but we do ask everyone to sign in so that we can keep records for unemployment and have contact information for follow up. Job Seekers Network is a faith-based nonprofit. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. Everyone is welcome to join us.
No advance notice is required – simply show up on a Monday morning. You’ll want to register in advance for our two workshops. You may also complete the registration form at the bottom of the workshop page to expedite your time on Monday morning.
We suggest bringing something to take notes. You do not need to bring your resume.
Click here for the location & which building to enter. Parking is available and free in the adjacent lot.
During your first visit, you will meet with a someone to get to know you and help you best understand how Job Seekers Network can help you. You will then join the large group session to hear from a guest speaker and the “Good News” time. Following the speaker and “Good News,” you will attend our “First Timer Quick Start” second hour group where you’ll learn how to get off to a quick start in your job search and all the ways that Job Seekers Network can help.
In the weeks after the “First Timer Quick Start,” you will follow one of two paths:
PATH 1: UNCLEAR ABOUT YOUR NEXT CAREER STEP? You are not alone! Nearly half of the job seekers joining us are interested in a career change or at least considering new options. Many people are also looking to find more fulfilling work and life balance. To help with this, we have developed two special training programs, which are offered periodically:
- Design & Focus – A career direction, team oriented course where participants use assessments to gain a clear picture on their design and then work to explore new opportunities and gain focus. (See Design & Focus under the Workshops tab for more information and the next session dates.)
- Living the Called Life – A biblically based program where participants explore God’s purpose in their lives by exploring their life calling, mission and developing a fulfilling and balanced life plan. (See Living The Called Life under the Workshop tab for more information and the next session dates.)
- Registration fees for both of these programs.
You may attend any of the second hour groups (Path 2 below) while you are attending these special programs, but your job search will be more targeted after you complete them.
PATH 2: CLEAR ON YOUR CAREER FOCUS? If you know your job search target and your strengths and gifting, you can work to learn or sharpen your job search skills through this path to take advantage of everything we have to offer. All of our Monday morning programs are free:
- Week 1: First Timer Quick Start
Subsequent weeks in any order, but this is our recommended order:
- Uncovering Your Personal Brand – Learn how to identify and communicate your key skills, attributes and experiences effectively in all parts of your job search.
- Resume – This is a two-part process. You will update our resume by watching resume training videos and using our template on your own (access to web page given during Quick Start.) After you attend Quick Start, watch the videos and implement the suggestions, you are eligible for a Resume Review. You will be given instructions on how to submit your resume on the web page. Spots are filled first come, first served.
- Elevator Pitch – Learn how to best introduce yourself in a compelling way that articulates who you are and effectively communicates your personal brand and the value you offer in 30 seconds or 2 minutes! This session helps you focus on key essentials and provides an opportunity to practice.
- Marketing Plan – Identify your target companies and develop a tool to communicate your job search goals to others.
- Online Job Search Tools –Learn the value of current online search tools like LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor. Tips and techniques to find companies, contacts, and insights into your next employer or job will be shared.
- Get LinkedIn Working for You / Profile Reviews –Learn how to actively curate connections with people, companies and groups in LinkedIn to get your profile seen by more recruiters and effectively develop and maintain your network. Profile reviews offered monthly.
- Get More Interviews with Jobscan.co – Learn how to use this tool to get your targeted resumes past to bots and increase your interview opportunities by optimizing keywords and other features.
- Networking How-tos – Over 80% of jobs are obtained by networking. Engage in dynamic discussions to share creative ways for effective networking. Learn how to be intentional in your job search techniques and exercise your life’s calling.
- Interviewing – You got the interview appointment! Now what? How do you prepare? Learn what questions you should ask and will be asked. Discover a paradigm shift that is guaranteed to set you apart from the rest of the crowd and be successful.
- Write Your Way to Your New Job – Learn how to effectively share your story and standout in 9 written documents of the job search.
- Negotiating Compensation Packages – Be prepared! Resources for determining salary ranges, other compensation options & negotiating tips will be shared.
- Networking@JSN with Other Job Seekers – A special group time where job seekers who have attended all the other training can meet to build and expand their network.
Anytime during the process:
- Stuck? Ask a Coach – Bring the questions that are preventing your job search from moving forward. Group coaching format.
- Mock Interviews – Practice your interview skills and gain feedback from a coach and your peers. Limited to 4 participants each week.
- Managing Finances – Finances are a priority when you are between jobs. Learn how to cope financially with job loss by learning ways to stretch your budget and the steps toward financial peace.
- Prayer – Get personal prayer support and encouragement.
Following either or both of these programs, you can jump in on Path 1 (above), wherever you need.
Small group job search training is different every week depending upon coach availability. We try to have Networking, Interviewing Strategy and Tactics, and Mock Interviews every week. Most other topics are every other week, every three weeks or once a month.